One of the main goals of USPS is “boating safety through education” — we believe that an educated boater is a safer boater. In addition to Americas Boating Class, USPS teaches a series of outstanding courses that cover advanced seamanship, navigational techniques, and boat handling, maintenance, and enhancement topics. Seminars are also provided throughout the year on various topics.
- America's Boating Course - 3rd Edition (ABC3) This introductory course teaches the fundamentals of safe boat handling and operation over three 4 hour sessions, plus an optional fourth session covering charting. These sessions may be taught in a single day or over a series of weeks.
- Advanced Courses are offered by USPS. These 5 courses are designed to be taken in sequence because each builds on skills taught in the previous course: Seamanship, Piloting, Advanced Piloting, Junior Navigation, Navigation.
- Elective Courses are offered by USPS. The 8 courses cover separate and independent topics and therefore may be taken in any order according to a person's interests and time. Topics are Sail, Weather, Engine Maintenance, Marine Electrical Systems, Marine Communications, Electronic Navigation, Cruise & Cruise Planning, Instructor Development.
- Seminars are short 1/2 day classes that cover various topics ranging from Trailering, VHF Radio, Radar and other various topics. Seminars are scheduled periodically based on interest and availability, check this page often for updates.
If one or more of these courses interest you, click on the links at the top of the page for more information. We hope to see you soon!
Note: Our normal education courses are scheduled between September through April, with seminars all year.
- The grade of Senior Navigator(SN) is given to those who have completed all of the Advanced Courses and at least 6 Elective Courses.
- Boat Operator's Certification(BOC) is given to those who have completed a combination of On-The-Water demonstrated abilities in addition to applicable Seminars and other skills, such as extinguishing fires and CPR. The BOC levels are Inland Navigation, Coastal Navigation and Advanced Coastal Navigation. See www.usps.org/eddept/boc for more details.